Chewing Gums are a favorite of many. Kids love to chew gums for their taste, and adult individuals like to show off their coolness with chewing gum in their mouth. Chewing gum is also an exercising tool, as it also helps to reduce fats accumulated in the cheeks area. However, these days, people are refraining themselves from these gums because of their high level of sugar. But a perfect substitute to the normal gums is Sugar Free Gums. These artificial sweetener gums fo not use sugar and are quite healthy for children as well as adults.
What Is Sugar Free Gum
In simple words, Sugar Free Gum is the substitute for normal gums with no sugar level. The different ingredients of this gum, which adds to the sweetness level are sugar alcohol, Aspartame, and Stevia. This gum does have sweetness but does not have any sugar quotient in it.
Benefits Of Sugar Free Gum
Reduces Tooth Decay
Chewing these gums for about 20 minutes greatly reduces tooth decay as it makes the mouth to produce more saliva. This saliva, in turn, helps to fight against the harmful bacteria and microscope, thereby preventing in tooth decay.
As these gums produce more saliva, the excess saliva helps to break down the food particles present in the teeth. This helps in the prevention of plaque.
Sugar Free Gum Increases Tooth Enamel
Again the excess secretion of saliva due to the chewing of these gums helps to solidify the tooth enamel. Saliva contains calcium and, which is are vital nutrients for strengthening gum and teeth.
This Gum Reduces Sensitivity
Extreme tooth whitening can result in tooth sensitivity, which these gums can control.
Demerits Of Sugar Free Gum
Sugar free gums like many other sugar free products; come with many demerits as well. The various side effects of these gums are-
1) Aspartame, one of the main ingredients of this gum can lead to insomnia, depression and severe mood swings. Thus this gum can have an adverse effect on our brain.
2) Excessive use of these gums can lead to problems of digestion and even diarrhea. Thus, this gum can have an adverse effect on our intestines.
3) Aspartame is also the primary source of mild and irritating allergies, especially to children
4) Excessing chewing can lead to bleeding of gums. Also, according to various studies, these gums can cause temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ)
5) People with braches have a lot of problems in chewing the Sugar Free gums as they are sticky and sticks to the braches, which becomes difficult to remove.
This Gum is no doubt quite healthy from the normal chewing gums. They do not have any carbonated sugar and do have some other added benefits as well. However, these gums come with a few disadvantages well, like any additional sugar free products. Thus, individuals should look at the pro and cons and then judge whether to use these gums or not.